Stop Discord from Opening on Startup: A lot of people use Discord in their day-to-day lives. It is an amazing platform for anyone who likes to chat, both voice and video, over the internet. Discord has a desktop client that can be installed on any operating system.
While the application does not take up any memory until it’s used, sometimes, the app launches itself during startup, which in turn, eats a big chunk of the memory. The user is often left with the question – How to stop Discord from opening on Startup.
To disable the auto-startup of Discord after boot, go to the User Settings in Discord’s desktop client. Click on Window Settings from the left sidebar and then Turn the Open Discord Option Off, usually found under the System Startup Behaviour section.
The above-mentioned process was a quick sum-up of the whole topic. However, do not worry as we have provided detailed step-by-step guides on stopping Discord from opening on Startup. We have enlisted three of the best methods that you can implement to stop auto-start on Discord.
How to Stop Discord from Opening on Startup
There are three different ways that can be used to prevent Discord from opening on Startup. We have mentioned all of them in the sections below.
Discord provides options to manipulate the startup settings on the application. To prevent Discord auto-start using Discord settings, follow the steps given below.
- Launch the Discord Desktop client on your computer.
- Click on the User Settings option (gear icon next to your username).
- In the settings window, select Windows Settings from the left sidebar.
- Toggle the Open Discord setting Off, under the System Startup Behaviour section.
- Save the Settings.
Now Discord won’t launch after startup.
Using Task Manager
Task Manager is a process management utility that comes pre-installed in Windows operating system. Users can use Task Manager to control current processes, end processes, create new processes, or manage startup options.
To stop Discord from opening on startup, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Press Win + R keys on the keyboard.
- The Run Dialog Box will launch.
- Type in
taskmgrand press Enter.
- The Task Manager window will open.
- Click on the tab that says Startup.
- Locate Discord from the list of processes. You’ll notice that the status will be Enabled by default for Discord.
- Click on Discord, and then Disable the auto-startup.
That’s how you stop Discord from opening on startup using the Task Manager.
Using Discord’s Application Interface
Previously, Discord used to provide its application interface that can be accessed using the Task Bar. This method may or may not work in your system as the feature was removed in the latest updates.
To disable Discord auto-startup using the Application interface, follow the steps below.
Make sure Discord is running on your system before implementing this solution.
- Click on the Arrow icon on your taskbar.
- You’ll find a small Discord icon in the list of icons. Right-click on it to expand the options.
- You’ll see an option named Run Discord when my computer starts. This will be checked by default.
- Uncheck the option.
That’s how you prevent Discord Auto-startup from the Discord Application interface.
So that was our take on How to stop Discord from Opening on startup. This is a common issue and many users face memory problems because of this.
To prevent Discord from opening on startup, you can disable the auto-startup option of Discord located under the Window Settings. You can also use Task Manager to stop the auto-startup after boot.