Geekyslug is supported by its readers. We independently analyze, test, review, and recommend the latest tech products—learn more about our process. When you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Have you been experiencing issues regarding your Lenovo Laptop keyboard? It may be an irritating cause when you are trying to finish a file before the deadline and suddenly your keyboard gives up and stops responding to any presses you give to the keys.
Fret not! Lenovo is one brand that has this issue occurring commonly amongst users and we are here with a complete guide on how to fix the Lenovo keyboard not working properly. So keep reading ahead to know the cause of it and the simple 9 methods to fixing the keyboard problem!
- Why Your Lenovo Laptop Keyboard is Not Working?
- Method 1: Reboot the Windows 10 Computer
- Method 2: Tap the Problem Keys Diagonally
- Method 3: Switch Off the Filter Keys
- Method 4: Replug the Power Cable
- Method 5: Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter
- Method 6: Uninstall Multiple Keyboards
- Method 7: Reinstall Synaptics Driver
- Method 8: Check for Windows Updates
- Method 9: Update the Lenovo Keyboard Driver
Why Your Lenovo Laptop Keyboard is Not Working?
Discussing the factors that may be causing your Lenovo keyboard to not work properly, we have compiled a few that we found may be hampering the performance of your keyboard:
- Corrupted drivers or drivers who are not up to date.
- Connectivity issues regarding extra keyboards which include USB-based and wireless ones.
- Damage to the hardware.
- Keys are not cleaned regularly.
To fix such common problems that may occur, read through the 9 solutions listed below:
Method 1: Reboot the Windows 10 Computer
The easiest solution in the book to fix any problem including the Lenovo keyboard not working is to give a restart to your computer. Your windows will automatically scan for any problem during rebooting and fix it if it is troubling your keyboard. If the issue persists, we recommend you to read ahead and try another method.
Method 2: Tap the Problem Keys Diagonally
This easy method may work for a few keys that have stopped responding and have been reported by many users that their Lenovo keyboard has started to work again. All you have to do is press the lower-left points of the non-functional keys for some time and see if the keys work again or not.
If the problem of the Lenovo keyboard, not typing remains still, then you can try another method to fix it.
Method 3: Switch Off the Filter Keys
Filter keys can be another annoying issue that may result in your Lenovo keyboard not working properly and giving you more of a headache. You can simply turn off the filter keys on your Lenovo laptop by following the given steps below:
- On the start menu, type the control panel and click on it.
- From the list of options displayed, press on the Ease of Access option.
- Choose the option stated as Make the keyboard easier to use.
- Toggle the filter keys option off and choose the option of making the keyboard easier to type.
- Click on the apply button and press OK to save the changes made.
Now try to type on your keyboard, this will have fixed the issue of the Lenovo keyboard not responding properly. We still have other methods mentioned in this article if this one does not suffice with your needs.
Method 4: Replug the Power Cable
If the keyboard issue still persists after restarting Windows 10, try removing the battery and the Power Cable from your Lenovo laptop. After you have turned off the Lenovo laptop, follow the steps below to remove the battery and the Power Cable.
- Hold and press the power button for about 1 minute.
- Unplug the power cable and wait for a few seconds.
- Connect the power cable properly and give a restart to your laptop.
This will make sure to remove any issue regarding the Lenovo laptop keyboard not working properly.
Method 5: Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter
If your laptop’s keyboard has stopped working, then you might want to try using the Windows keyboard troubleshooter. Generally, the troubleshooter scans for any issue your pc may be facing and it tries to eliminate it when you run the program. This way your system will be returned to normal and you may be able to fix the Lenovo keyboard not responding to the crisis.
To run the troubleshooter, follow the steps listed:
- Go to the start menu and type troubleshooter.
- From the list of options, click on the troubleshooter option.
- Select the keyboard option displayed.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter button and wait for the troubleshooter to scan your entire system.
- After the wizard finishes its work, give your pc a restart to see whether the keyboard is working or not.
If the problem of the Lenovo keyboard, not working persists, try the other methods mentioned in this article.
Method 6: Uninstall Multiple Keyboards
An extra keyboard is always a handy tool if you do not want to keep stressing and overworking your laptop keyboard. Sometimes, the USB cable can be faulty due to which your Laptop keyboard may be giving you trouble and stop working.
You can easily uninstall an extra keyboard you have attached to your laptop to check whether the problem of the Lenovo laptop keyboard not working properly happens again or not. We have listed down all the steps needed to uninstall multiple keyboards from your system:
- Click on the start menu and type device manager
- Navigate the keyboard option and expand it.
- From the options listed, right-click on the keyboard you want to uninstall and click on the uninstall button.
- Check for your Lenovo keyboard responding or not.
Method 7: Reinstall Synaptics Driver
Another method you can try to fix the issue of the Lenovo keyboard not working is to uninstall and install back the Synaptics driver from your computer. Follow through the given steps to try this method:
- Open the start menu and type device manager.
- Select the Synaptics driver option.
- Right-click on it and press the uninstall option.
- On the top, locate the scan for hardware changes option and select it.
- Windows will automatically search for s driver and will reinstall it.
- Restart your pc and check for the keyboard issue.
Method 8: Check for Windows Updates
Sometimes your windows may fail to update on time and may cause problems and glitches to your system and one of them being the keyboard not working or responding. We recommend you update your Windows OS to the latest version to fix the issue of your Lenovo Keyboard not responding.
To check and update your Windows operating system to the latest version, follow the given steps:
- Go to the start menu and click on the settings button.
- From the panel opened, select the Update and Security option.
- Click on the check for updates option and let your software update if it has not.
After your computer has updated any pending software, the issue of the Lenovo keyboard not working will be fixed.
Method 9: Update the Lenovo Keyboard Driver
If the issue of the Lenovo keyboard not working hasn’t been resolved yet, then you can try out this final method that may work for you. All you have to do is update your keyboard driver to the latest version for your keyboard to work again. You can do this in two ways: manually update the driver or automatically update the driver:
A) Update Lenovo Keyboard Driver Manually
- Go to the start menu and search for device manager.
- From the pop-up window, navigate to the keyboard option.
- Click on it to reveal all the options and under it will be the name of your keyboard.
- Right-click on the option and select update.
- Select on the search for the driver automatically and wait for it to get updated.
Once your update is finished then you should restart your computer and give your keyboard another shot to check whether it is working or not.
B) Update Lenovo Keyboard Driver Automatically
The manual process may be a bit troublesome to go about with so you can easily download updating apps for your drivers to get updated regularly without you needing to do it by yourself.
One such app you can use is the BITS driver updater. You can easily download it from the link given here. After you have set up the bits driver on your pc, click on the scan option that you will see on the left panel and select the keyboard update you see from the result. Now, press on the update option and wait for the software to be on the latest version. Give a restart to your pc and check whether your Lenovo keyboard is working or not.
We have discussed here all the possible solutions to the problem of the Lenovo keyboard not responding which will surely help you get back to working soon. Hope this article has been helpful for you to figure out any underlying problem with your keyboard and how to fix it with ease!
By Sam Rhodes
Hi, I’m Sam Rhodes, a passionate tech reviewer, and gamer. I started Geekyslug with the motive of sharing my knowledge about tech gadgets like gaming laptops, tablets, graphic cards, keyboards, and whatnot.
I also share troubleshooting guides, helping people resolve issues with their gadgets. When I’m not writing, I prefer playing Valorant, Call of duty, GTA5 or outdoor activities like skateboarding and off-roading on my bike.