Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working? Here’s The Fix!
Geekyslug is supported by its readers. We independently analyze, test, review, and recommend the latest tech products—learn more about our process. When you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Buying a laptop always brings a lot of trouble starting from deciding a budget to analyzing every little detail that it is offering you. Of course, the excitement in getting a new laptop and upgrading it to your liking is beyond any limit but then at times, you might face some issues that may bring a frown on your face.
Taking about one such issue is your keyboard not working properly. This is one common issue most Asus laptop users have faced but fret not! There is always a solution to any technical problem you may be suffering from. In this article, we will discuss the problem of the Asus Laptop keyboard not working on Windows 10 and how to fix it!
Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working Problem Overview
You may experience a glitch in your keyboard where it may not register any key you press when you are trying to type something. When your Asus laptop keyword does not respond, you may also lack the factor of giving instructions to your computer due to this issue. This usually happens if your keyboard is not able to link to your computer or is unable to get detected by certain programs.
As we proceed further, we will give you all the details in order to fix the Asus laptop keys not working.
Troubleshooting Asus Laptop Keyboard Not Working
You can first try the basic steps to see whether your Asus laptop keyboard is working or not. It involves giving a restart to your Asus laptop or letting it cool down if it is overheating. If these methods do not work for you, you can try and uninstall any unwanted software that may be causing issues in your malware or remove any USB connection.
There may be chances that these simple solutions may not work for you and your keyboard is still stuck in an unresponsive stage. For this, read ahead to find out all the possible remedies to fix the Asus laptop keyboard not working properly
1. Revert Changes in Keyboard Settings on Asus Laptop
Often while installing certain apps, they require permissions to be granted to them for the apps to function smoothly. You may have carelessly accepted the checkbox and not paid much attention to it but such third-party apps may also result in your Asus laptop keyboard not working or face some problems. If you have already done changes to your keyboard settings for such apps it is recommended to revert them to default.
The steps are listed chronologically for you to turn the filter keys off on your keyboard:
- Navigate to the Settings option from your start menu.
- From the left-hand panel, locate the Keyboard option.
- Now Toggle the filter key off and on and try to type on your keyboard.
- If the problem still persists, turn the filter key off and restart your pc before turning it on.
Checking the Date and Time Settings
If the proper date and time have not been set to your laptop, it may cause your keyboard to glitch and cause problems such as not responding to your typings at all. At times, you may notice that your date and time have changed automatically so it is essential to fix it to the current one.
If you notice your date and time to be improper then go ahead and read the steps given below to fix this issue:
- From the taskbar, locate the date and time and right-click on it.
- A dropdown list will be displayed and select the option named Adjust date/time.
- Select the date and time option displayed on a popup window.
- Under the set date and time manually, press the change button.
- Once you have entered the proper date and time, save the changes and test for your Asus laptop keyboard problem.
3. Region and Language
Changes in the region and language needed for third-party apps may also be one cause for your Asus laptop keyboard to not work properly on Windows 10. Such apps need a manual setting for them to fix a region and language for you which you may have unintentionally manipulated and maybe providing you with multiple keyboard glitches.
It is easy to fix this issue mentioned by tweaking some settings and we will tell you how to in the given steps:
- From the start menu, click on the Settings option.
- Select the region and language option from the panel displayed.
- Select the region option located on the left-hand side
- Choose the correct country.
- Now go back and select the language option.
- Choose the correct language.
- If the language is not available then add a language to the panel.
4. Uninstall Multiple Keyboards on Laptop
People usually prefer using an additional keyboard during gaming or working on a long project to not reduce the shelf life of the laptop keyboard. Sometimes, the USB cable can be faulty due to which your Laptop keyboard may be giving you trouble and stop working.
You can easily uninstall an extra keyboard you have attached to your laptop to check whether the problem of the Asus laptop keys not working properly occurs again or not. To do this, we have listed down all the steps needed to follow through:
- Click on the start menu and type device manager.
- Locate the keyboard option and expand it by clicking on it.
- From the options listed, right-click on the keyboard you want to uninstall and click on the uninstall button.
5. Run the Troubleshooter Wizard for Windows
The troubleshooter wizard provided by Windows can also be useful to fix the keyboard issues your laptop may be facing. The wizard basically scans the entire computer to find any malfunctions present in your hardware or software. Once the troubleshooter finds a problem that your keyboard might be facing, it will automatically remove it and return the system to normal. After doing so, your Asus Laptop keyboard not working will be fixed. To do this, go through the given steps for running the troubleshooter wizard:
- Go to the start menu and type troubleshooter.
- From the list of options, click on the troubleshooter result.
- Click on the keyboard option.
- Navigate to the Run the troubleshooter button and press on it.
- After the wizard finishes its work, give your pc a restart to see whether the keyboard is working or not.
6. Update the Keyboard Driver
If your keyboard is not updated to the latest version, chances are that you may experience the Asus laptop keyboard not working. You may have to go for a manual update if your automatic update fails to happen for some technical issues.
You can follow up with the steps below to easily update your keyboard driver so as to fix the problem of a glitching pad:
- Go to the start menu and search for device manager.
- From the pop-up window, navigate to the keyboard option.
- Click on it to reveal all the options and under it will be the name of your keyboard.
- Right-click on the option and select update.
- Select on the search for the driver automatically and wait for it to get updated.
Once your update is finished then you should restart your computer and give your keyboard another shot to check whether it is working or not.
7. Reinstall the Keyboard Driver
Sometimes, there are changes due to a shortage of space, or trouble given by certain apps may give a hard time to your keyboard driver. We would recommend you uninstall the driver and reinstall your keyboard to not face any kind of issue.
You can also free up some space before reinstalling the keyboard driver to fix the issue of the Asus laptop keys not working. We have listed down all the steps to be followed on reinstalling the keyboard driver:
- Go to the start menu and type control manager.
- Select device manager.
- Select the keyboard option from the pop-up window.
- Right-click on the driver from the expanded option.
- Click on uninstall.
After the uninstallation has been completed, restart your PC for your operating system to reinstall the keyboard driver. This will for sure fix the Asus laptop keyboard problem and it should be working again.
8. Check Your Asus Laptop for Virus
Viruses are malicious codes or programs written to make changes in your computer without your consent and corrupt your software and hardware without you noticing until it is too late. If your Asus laptop is infected by some virus, it can be a reason for your keyboard driver to be harmed and your Asus laptop keyboard to not work.
To check whether your laptop has been affected by viruses or not, make sure to read through the steps to know what to do about it:
- Locate the icon of the antivirus you are using and open it.
- Now press the scanning button and let the antivirus scan the entire system.
The antivirus will rid the system of any malfunctioning files troubling your computer and it may fix the problem of Asus laptop keys not working properly.
9. Update Windows OS on Asus Laptop
An out-of-date software will cause issues to your pc one of them being the keys not working or glitching when you try to type. We recommend you update your Windows OS to the latest version to eliminate any sort of technical problems your pc may be suffering from.
As you read further, you will find a way to update your windows OS to fix the issue of Asus Laptop keys not working:
- Go to the start menu and click on the settings button.
- From the panel opened, select the Update and Security option.
- Click on the check for updates option and let your software update if it has not.
After your computer has updated any pending software, the issue of the Asus laptop keyboard not working will be fixed.
10. Check the USB connection (USB keyboard)
Using a USB-based keyboard may also cause some disruption to occur on your main keyboard if you have not plugged it in properly. Such a problem of the Asus Laptop keyboard not working for Windows 10 can be fixed by unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in. if the problem persists, try to change the USB port before connecting the keyboard to your pc.
11. Contact Official Asus Support for Laptop
The manufacturers have their own official support site where you can get a designated help for your keyboard not working by typing your problem in the inquiry box and giving a search. To visit the site, please click on the link provided here.
12. Check the wireless adapter (wireless keyboard)
If you happen to use a wireless keyboard via a Bluetooth connection, do check if there are any underlying connection problems. You can reconnect the wireless keyboard by bringing it closer to the adapter and check whether the Asus laptop keys are working.
In this article, we have discussed all the possible solutions to the Asus Laptop keyboard not working properly and we hope that one of them has certainly worked out for you.
The easiest method we could recommend is to give a manual update to your system or install a fresh hard drive for your keyboard and you’re all set to type your work back from your laptop! Regardless, if the issues still persist then you can go for an alternative solution of using an extra keyboard for your pc.
By Sam Rhodes
Hi, I’m Sam Rhodes, a passionate tech reviewer, and gamer. I started Geekyslug with the motive of sharing my knowledge about tech gadgets like gaming laptops, tablets, graphic cards, keyboards, and whatnot.
I also share troubleshooting guides, helping people resolve issues with their gadgets. When I’m not writing, I prefer playing Valorant, Call of duty, GTA5 or outdoor activities like skateboarding and off-roading on my bike.